Scholar in Training

The blog of a new postgraduate student hoping to make it against all odds in the harsh world of modern biblical scholarship. Wow, it almost sounds like a Hollywood blockbuster...

Friday, October 28, 2005

Being ill sucks

It's been far longer than I would have liked, but I've been quite ill recently. Every time I think I've got over it, something else happens (though the fatigue remains... zzzz...). Last Saturday I threw up at work, spent the weekend in bed, and then I missed a Hebrew lecture this Wednesday 'cause I felt like the entire world was trying to break into my skull. Yes, I know I'm a student, but it wasn't a hangover. Drinking far too much for my own good is a daft indulgence I left behind in my pre-university teenage years. For those of you still with "fresher's flu" (or the lite version), Weetabix helps. Mmmm.... Weetabix.....

Still, I'm here now, in the middle of installing some new graphics drivers. Oh, trying to get the best Doom 3 performance from your PC is so exciting!! Heehee... I like Doom 3. Slaying multitudes of hellspawn, visiting hell and defeating Satan makes me feel like I'm right in the book of Revelation! And I read Left Behind the other day as well. I'm feeling sooo apocalyptic this week!

On a slightly more serious note, Left Behind was an interesting book. I confess that I read it for a bit of a laugh, but I also read it to see how it interprets the Bible. And it interprets it very strangely. I never knew that 1 Cor. 15 was talking about the rapture... how foolish could I have been to miss that mis-reading? Sarcasm aside, I don't believe in the rapture - and I spent 3 years at a Pentecostal Bible college! (I wasn't a Pentecostal to start off with, though - "liberal charismatic" would probably be my box, if I had one.) I don't see anything in the Bible that would convince me, which some may disagree with but I don't think they read the text responsibly.

And, since Mr G. W. Bush believes in the rapture, that makes me even less inclined to believe it, especially considering recent events involving his friends Miers, Rove, Libby and good ol' "Dick" Cheney. The Christian right really gives the rest of us a bad press, and makes me thankful that I don't live in America. Sorry, you guys who do live there, but that's the way it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Counter